Creamy Sweet Corn Cauliflower Grits
Vegetarian comfort food made lighter and healthier. Cauliflower riced into “grits” with sweet corn, Le Gruyère Cheese, spinach, basil, onion and more.
- 3/4 pounds cauliflower (about 1 small head of cauliflower or cauliflower florets)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups grated Emmi Le Gruyère® AOP Cheese, plus additional for topping
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 handful chopped basil, plus additional leaves for garnish
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup coconut milk or cream
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- 1 sliced jalapeño or chopped bell pepper, optional
- For Tomato Sauce Topping:
- 1/3 cup spicy marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Rice your cauliflower. Remove stem, cut the cauliflower into small sections. You can also use florets. Place 1 handful of the cauliflower into the food processor at a time.
- Pulse until a "rice" texture is formed. Remove, place in a large bowl. Repeat until you have riced all 3/4 pounds.
- Place corn, onion, garlic, oil in pan and sauté on medium high until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add riced cauliflower, paprika, spinach, and cream. Add optional jalapeño or bell pepper, if desired.
- Mix all together. Cover and reduce heat for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Stir in Le Gruyère and keep at medium-low until cheese is melted in with the cauliflower “rice” grits. Note: If you would like grits to be thicker here, add optional 1 cup cooked quinoa if desired.
- Remove from heat. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with red pepper flakes and chopped fresh basil. Place into serving bowls.
- Whisk together tomato sauce ingredients and spoon over each serving. To finish, add additional grated cheese and basil leaves to the top.