Smashed Potato Gratin
This recipe combines all the classic creamy, cheesy goodness of a potato gratin with the ease of baked potatoes. The potatoes can be baked a day ahead. The potato skins create a wonderful crispy topping that, combined with the creamy, nutty notes of Emmi Gruyère AOP cheese, will make this dish an instant favorite.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cleaned
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 ounces Emmi Le Gruyère AOP cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Place potatoes on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Adjust oven to 400F. Butter 1 1/2- or 2-quart baking dish.
- Quarter potatoes and smash into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
- In sauce pan, combine cream, bay leaf, fresh thyme, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and remove bay leaf and thyme.
- In prepared baking dish, arrange half of potato pieces in single layer, skin side down. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with half of shredded cheese and half of cream mixture. Add remaining potato pieces skin side up. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with remaining cream mixture and cheese. Bake uncovered 40 minutes. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.