Asparagus Crustless Quiche
An easy way to celebrate spring. This cozy brunch dish starts with lightly sauteed asparagus layered with loads of Emmi Gruyère, chives, and savory custard. (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)
- 1 T butter
- 1 bunch asparagus (12-16 oz)
- ¼ c (33 g) cassava flour
- 3 T (21 g) arrowroot starch
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 c whole milk (or full-fat coconut milk)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 2 -3 T chopped chives or scallion greens
- 4 oz (1 cup lightly packed) shredded Emmi Gruyère cheese
- Rub a 9 or 10” pan with soft butter. Snap ends off asparagus. Cut stalks into ½” pieces on diagonal, leaving tips intact. Keep separate.
- Melt ½ T butter over med heat in a skillet. Add small asparagus pieces plus big pinch salt. Cook, stirring, until bright green and crisp-tender. Remove from pan. Add remaining butter & asparagus tips & cook for one minute.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, starch, salt & pepper. Add 2 eggs and whisk smooth. Add remaining 4 eggs 2 at a time, whisking after each. Add milk, cream, and chives.
- Spread small pieces of asparagus in bottom of pan. Sprinkle most of the cheese over the top. Pour batter over asparagus and arrange tips on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake quiche until puffed & golden, 40-45 min. Serve warm or at room temp.