Fondü Baked Mac & Cheese
Creamy mac and cheese topped with buttery breadcrumbs and baked until golden.
- 4 oz sourdough bread, roughly chopped
- 1 lb pasta shells
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 small shallots, minced
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 packages of Emmi Ready-To-Serve Fondü Original
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 oz shredded Emmi Gruyère cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to high broil.
- Place the chopped bread into a food processor and pulse until crumbs are formed. Transfer the breadcrumbs to a bowl and set aside (you could also use 1 ½ cups of store-bought breadcrumbs).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the pasta shells into the water. Stir well and cook for 1 minute less than the package’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add 4 tablespoons of the butter and let it melt. Add the shallots. Cook for about 2 minutes until softened. Season with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add the fondü to the shallots. Turn the heat to low. Heat the fondu for about 6 minutes until fully melted, stirring often. Lastly, stir in the fresh sage, oregano, and rosemary.
- Drain the pasta shells and add them directly to the fondü sauce. Stir well to coat. Transfer the mac and cheese to a greased 9x13” baking dish. Top with the gruyère cheese. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the melted butter and olive oil to the breadcrumbs. Toss well to coat. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the gruyère.
- Broil the mac and cheese for 2-3 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden and crisp (watch it closely so it doesn’t burn). Serve immediately with more black pepper and any extra herbs over top.