GRUYÈRE CROQUE MONSIEUR
An incredibly delicious and simple French sandwich using Emmi Gruyère cheese.
- 2 tablespoons butter + additional for spreading
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk (can use 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de provence + additional for topping
- 2 cups Emmi Gruyère cheese, shredded and divided
- 8 slices of fresh bakery style bread
- 4–8 slices of thinly sliced ham
- BECHAMEL SAUCE: In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat your 2 tablespoons of butter on medium-high heat. Once butter is melted, add in your flour and begin whisking until it bubbles and a thick paste begins to form, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly begin pouring in your milk while simultaneously whisking. Continue pouring and whisking until all your milk is incorporated.
- Continue to whisk ensuring mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of your pot. The sauce will begin to thicken, about 3-5 minutes depending on your stove. You’ll know it’s ready when it coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add in 1/3 of your shredded Emmi Gruyère , salt, pepper, nutmeg, mustard and herbes de provence. Stir until fully combined and cheese is melted. Set aside.
- CROQUE MONSIEUR ASSEMBLY: Heat your oven to broil with rack on upper third of your oven. Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Lay your bread slices and butter one side – place under broil for 2-3 minutes until it begins to brown. Keep a watch on them as all broilers vary in heat. Remove, flip bread, butter other side and repeat in broiler. Lower oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Spread some bechamel sauce on one side of your bread, sprinkle Emmi Gruyère, add a slice or two of ham then top with your other slice of bread. On the top side of your bread, spread another bit of bechamel sauce and more Emmi Gruyère. Finally finish with a sprinkle of herbes de provence.
- Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes, then broil once again for 3-5 minutes until top is golden and bubbly. Remove from oven, cut and enjoy immediately.