Le Crémeux Cheeseburger with Pineapple BBQ Sauce
Homemade burgers are transformed into something truly special with this ingenious recipe from Chef Elizabeth Falkner. Celebrating the wonderful flavor combination of Kaltbach Le Crémeux cheese and pineapple, this recipe incorporates an easy homemade BBQ sauce with tropical notes. And because two sauces are always better than one, it’s complemented with a simple cucumber and Greek yogurt sauce. For the full flavor experience, serve these burgers on Chef Elizabeth’s Caramelized Onion and Gruyère Focaccia.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned pineapple, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or white sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons coarse mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dried apricots or cherries
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 18 ounces ground beef
- 6 ounces chopped mushrooms (can be any or a combination of crimini, button, oyster)
- 2 teaspoons Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup Kaltbach Le Crémeux cheese, grated or sliced
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated horseradish or 2 teaspoons prepared
- 1/4 cup minced cucumber
- 1/2 cup Quark or Greek yogurt
- pinch salt
- 4 pieces (4- to 5-inch squares) of Caramelized Onion and Gruyère Focaccia (See Recipe)
- 4 leaves of butter lettuce or other lettuce
- First, prepare the pineapple BBQ sauce. In a sauce pan, combine oil with the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the pineapple, sugar, bourbon and vinegar and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to medium-low and add the red pepper flakes, cayenne, onion powder, mustard and lime juice along with the dried fruit and salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Purée the mixture and keep chilled.
- To make the burgers, in a medium bowl, combine ground beef, mushrooms and Tamari or soy sauce and divide into four 6-ounce patties. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Dijon, horseradish, cucumber and Quark with pinch of salt; set aside.
- Cook burgers in a hot pan or on the grill for a couple minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, slice the Caramelized Onion and Gruyère Focaccia pieces in half-lengthwise and toast under broiler or on grill on inside of the focaccia and then brush with melted butter.
- Spoon some of the mustard/cucumber/Quark mixture on the bottom slice of focaccia. Add a piece of lettuce on top of this mixture.
- Divide cheese over the burgers and melt for 30 seconds to 1 minute under broiler or on covered grill.
- Remove burgers and place on bottom half of focaccia. Top with pineapple BBQ sauce. Serve immediately.