Pear and Raclette Stuffed French Toast
Thick slices of brioche are stuffed with a mixture of lightly spiced sautéed pears and slices of Emmi Raclette. Then it’s dipped in an easy to make maple custard. The bread is then battered in a maple custard, and cooked until golden brown.
- Sauteed Pears
- 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 medium (245 grams) pears, diced
- ¼ cup (54 grams) light brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- French Toast
- 4 2 1/2-inch thick slices brioche
- 8 ¼-inch thick slices Emmi Raclette Cheese
- 3 large (170 grams) eggs
- 1/3 cup (76 grams) whole milk
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (75 grams) maple syrup, plus more for serving
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar, as needed for serving (optional)
- Whipped cream, as needed for serving (optional)
- Chopped toasted pecans, a needed for serving (optional)
- Cook the pears: in a medium sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the pears, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved and the pears soften, 5-6 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Make the French Toast: use a small knife to cut a slit across the width of the bread, cutting as deeply into it as you can without cutting through the other sides, forming a pocket.
- Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of pear filling into each piece of bread, then slide two pieces of Raclette into each pocket.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Melt the butter on a large griddle or skillet over medium heat. Gently dip each piece of stuffed bread into the custard until well coated. Immediately transfer to the hot skillet. Cook until each side is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place one piece of stuffed French toast on a plate, and top with whipped cream and toasted pecans, if using. Serve with maple syrup.