French Onion Cheese Ball
Everyone loves a cheese ball, especially when it's a French Onion Cheese Ball with Emmi Le Gruyère cheese, wine-glazed caramelized onions and rolled in crispy fried onions.
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (5-6 ounces) Emmi Le Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/8 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup store bought crispy fried onions
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- Heat olive oil and butter in heavy bottomed skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, mixing frequently, about 10 minutes. Mix in nutmeg, salt and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. If onions start to brown or stick to the bottom of the pan, add a little water or reduce the heat slightly. When onions are completely softened and a caramel brown color, add the wine, mixing with a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Cook 5 minutes, until there is no excess moisture from the wine. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, shredded Gruyère, sour cream, cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Mix until well incorporated. Fold in the caramelized onion mixture.
- Turn mixture out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Use plastic wrap to shape mixture into a ball. Wrap well and refrigerate at least 1 hour. When ready to serve, roll cheese ball in fried onion pieces and sprinkle with thyme leaves. Serve with crackers.