Gruyère & Butternut Squash Grilled Cheese
Butternut squash, grilled cheese, Kaltbach Le Gruyère... just a few of our favorite things cozied up in one melty sandwich. You'll want to eat this for every meal this fall!
- 4 cups diced sweet onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp white or dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp minced rosemary/thyme/sage
- 1/8 tsp salt & pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp soft butter
- ¾ cup onion jam
- 6 oz Kaltbach Le Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 1 cup roasted winter squash puree
- To make the onion jam, cook onions in oil until golden on medium-low heat stirring frequently, 30-60 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until liquid has evaporated, 5-10 minutes.
- Then, add olive oil, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, rosemary/thyme/sage, and salt & pepper to onions and cook until liquid has evaporated.
- To make the grilled cheese sandwich, butter outside of bread. Spread inner slices with onion jam & squash. Sandwich with Gruyère.
- Then, toast in skillet over medium heat until golden. Flip and cook on the second side until golden and Gruyère is melted.