Crab Mac and Cheese with Salsa Verde
Dress up your favorite comfort food with Crab Mac and Cheese with Salsa Verde. This easy-yet-sophisticated recipe features Emmi Le Gruyère in a rich cheese sauce. Fold in crab meat and serve alongside an herb-packed salsa verde for an extra punch of freshness.
- ¼ cup green olives
- ¼ cup chives
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 jalapeño, flesh and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces pasta
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- Cayenne pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) Emmi Le Gruyère AOP, shredded
- 1/2 pound crab meat
- 1/4 cup Panko or fresh breadcrumbs
- Using a food processor or chopper, combine the green olives, chives, parsely, dill, lemon juice, jalapeño and capers. Process while streaming in oil. Herbs should be finely chopped into a spoonable sauce. If too thick, add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time. Set aside.
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions.
- In skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add breadcrumbs and toast, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted. Season with salt and remove from heat. Set aside.
- In large skillet or sauce pan over medium heat, melt remaining 5 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring often. Gradually add milk, whisking to combine. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Season with a big pinch of salt and a dash of Cayenne pepper. Reduce heat to low and add shredded Gruyère one handful at a time, mixing into the sauce. Drain pasta and add to sauce, mixing well to coat. Fold in crab meat and remove from heat. Top with toasted breadcrumbs and serve with salsa verde.