Escarole and Endive Salad with Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère®
This deceptively simple salad hits all the right notes with escarole and endive for pleasantly bitter freshness, sweet crisp Asian pears, perfectly toasted hazelnuts, and a brightly balanced vinaigrette. A generous shaving of Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® AOP Cheese cheese adds a whole new dimension of earthy complexity.
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted and lightly smashed or chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup fruity olive oil
- 2 teaspoon hazelnut oil (optional)
- 4 cups escarole leaves or radicchio cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 heads endive cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 Asian pear, skin on, cored and cut in thin slices
- 2-4 ounces Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® AOP Cheese cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spread hazelnuts onto rimmed sheet pan in single layer. Bake 10-15 minutes, until nuts are lightly browned. Remove from oven and wrap in towel. Rub with towel to remove as many skins as possible. Once cooled, roughly chop; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, honey and salt together in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add the oils slowly while whisking.
- Add escarole and endive and sliced Asian pear to the vinaigrette along with the hazelnuts and toss together.
- Divide the salad on 4 plates. Shave or grate Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® AOP Cheese over each salad. Finish with a little cracked pepper. Serve immediately.