Le Gruyère®-Roasted Cabbage with Lentils, Burnt Butter, Sage, and Walnuts
In a perfect vegetable-plus-cheese pairing, cabbage is roasted under a blanket of Emmi Le Gruyère® AOP, and then topped with brown butter, crispy sage, lentils and walnuts.
- 1 savoy, green or purple cabbage
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2oz (60g) Emmi Le Gruyère® AOP
- 2 shallots, finely slliced
- 1 cup (200g) puy lentils
- 6 tbsp (85g) salted butter
- About 30 sage leaves
- ½ cup (50g) walnuts, toasted
- Handful of parsley leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450˚F (230˚C). Cut the cabbage into 6 wedges and place (cut sides up) on an oiled baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil, a pinch of nutmeg, season with sea salt + black pepper.
- Grate a generous amount of Le Gruyère® cheese over each wedge, until it’s well covered. Roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven, add the shallots, turn all the cabbage wedges over and roast for a further 10-15 minutes until golden and tender.
- Cook lentils for about 20 minutes, until just tender.
- Melt the butter. Once the butter foams, add the sage leaves, lower heat slightly. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the butter is browned and the sage is crispy.
- Remove from heat, take the crispy sage out of the browned butter, set aside.
- To serve, spoon the lentils onto a large serving plate. Top with the roasted cabbage, shallots, season with sea salt and black pepper, and drizzle over the brown butter. Scatter with crispy sage, walnuts and parsley, and finish by adding shaved or grated Le Gruyère®.