Le Gruyère® Groats with Apple Butter, Bacon and Walnuts
By Award-winning chef Elizabeth Falkner
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated cave-aged Emmi Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® AOP Cheese, divided
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup multigrain hot cereal such as Bob's Red Mill®
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or coffee powder
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated mild Emmi Emmentaler® AOP Cheese
- 1/4 cup apple butter or apple sauce
- 1/2 cup quark or Greek yogurt
- 4 strips cooked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Maldon or other flakey salt
- Make cheese crisps: Heat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cave-aged Kaltbach Le Gruyére on parchment paper- lined baking sheet; bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven; cool. Break into small pieces.
- Bring water to boil; add cereal (groats) and salt. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes over low heat. Stir in espresso powder, a few grinds of black pepper and all the grated Le Gruyére and the remaining 1/4 cup Kaltbach Le Gruyére to cereal. Stir to melt.
- Spread spoonful of apple butter in each of 4 bowls. Spoon quark over. Divide groats cereal among the bowls. Divide bacon and walnuts over each bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Finish with cheese crisps and a few flakes of salt.