Spring Frittata with Le Gruyère®
The rich, complex flavor of Emmi Le Gruyère® AOPcheese is a perfect complement to fresh spring vegetables like asparagus and spring onions. This frittata highlights that lovely combination in a classic preparation that comes together with minimal prep and lets the oven do most of the work. Cutting the Gruyère into small squares gives this dish a restaurant-worthy edge, delivering cheesy bites that are oh so satisfying.
- 6 ounces Emmi Le Gruyère cheese
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 12 ounces), washed and trimmed
- 5 spring onions, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (optional)
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Slice Gruyère into 1/8-inch-thick slices, then cut into 1/2-inch-wide squares. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, heavy cream, salt, mustard and black pepper. Whisk well to combine; set aside.
- Cut asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces, keeping tips intact. Finely slice spring onions, separating the white and light green portions from the dark green tops, which you’ll use for garnish.
- Melt butter and olive oil in 12- or 10-inch oven-safe skillet (like cast iron) over medium heat. Add asparagus and white and light green parts of spring onion. Cook 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook 1-2 minutes, until just wilted. Remove pan from heat. Pour egg mixture into pan. Add pieces of Gruyère and gently mix to combine. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until eggs are cooked through and top is just beginning to brown. Garnish with reserved sliced onions and fresh dill.