These easy Emmentaler cracker bites take inspiration from the classic Reuben sandwich with a few thoughtful twists (hence the “ish”). For the sauce, we’ve swapped in mustard for ketchup for an added zing. If, however, you can’t imagine a Reuben bite without the Russian dressing, that will work just fine, too. Spread your sauce of choice on a light rye crispbread cracker and top with sliced corned beef, Emmi Emmentaler cheese and a simple cabbage slaw with caraway seeds for added rye flavor.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons white onion, grated, or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish or chopped pickles
- Black pepper
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 20 light rye crispbread crackers
- 1/2 pound corned beef, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces Emmi Emmentaler® AOP Cheese cheese, cut into thin slices (about 1 1/2 inches square)
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, 1 teaspoon sugar, Worcestershire sauce, onion and pickle relish. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine sliced cabbage with apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon sugar. Season generously with salt and pepper. If desired, mix in caraway seeds. Set aside.
- Break each cracker in half (each half will be about 2 inches square) and arrange on a serving tray. Spread each cracker with about 1 teaspoon mayonnaise mixture. Top with corned beef and a slice of Emmentaler. Finish with 1-2 teaspoons cabbage slaw. Serve immediately.