Caramelized Pears with Cranberry Compote
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 pears
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean
- 4 1/2 ounces Emmi Appenzeller® Cheese, sliced thin
- 2 tablepsoons cranberry compote
- 2 twigs thyme
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Caramelize the sugar with a few drops of lemon juice in a frying pan, then remove the pan from the heat. Pour the water onto the sugar. Let the caramel simmer gently until it has dissolved.
- Peel the pears, cut them in half and remove the core. Pour a little lemon juice over the pears so that they do not turn brown. Place the pears and vanilla bean into the caramel syrup. Simmer the fruit until it is almost soft.
- Remove the pears from the syrup and place onto a baking tray covered with baking paper. Fill with the cranberry compote and place the cheese slices on top.
- Bake the pears for about 6–8 minutes, until pears are softened.
- Place the pears into a dish, pour over the caramel syrup and sprinkle over a few leaves of thyme. Serve immediately.