Cheesy Socca Breakfast Pizza
Socca breakfast-style pizza is quick to make, grain-free and deliciously nutritious.
- For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 3 tablespoons olive or avocado oil, divided
- 1 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian style herb seasoning of choice, optional
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- Handful of spinach leaves
- 4 thin slices pineapple, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced shallot or red onion
- 1 ounce sliced uncured Canadian bacon or ham, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 ounces sliced Emmi Kaltbach™ Le Crémeux Cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 ounce shredded Emmi Kaltbach™ Le Crémeux Cheese
- Cilantro, optional
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce or Sriracha sauce, optional
- Prepare crust. Mix chickpea flour, 2 tablespoons olive oil, water, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and herb seasoning until smooth. Let sit 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to broil. Place 10-12 inch oven-safe pan, preferably cast iron, in oven for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove hot pan from oven. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and swirl to coat pan bottom. Gently pour batter over pan bottom, tilting pan so batter fills evenly.
- Reduce oven to 425°F. Return pan to oven for 5-8 minutes or just until batter is set. If you are using a 12-inch pan, pizza crust will be thinner and will bake faster. Check after 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spread tomato sauce and 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic on crust. Arrange spinach, pineapple, onion and bacon, if using, over pizza. Add a few slices of bell pepper, setting aside remaining slices. Place 1 ounce Emmi Kaltbach™ Le Crémeux slices on top of other ingredients. Leave a small space in the center of pizza for egg.
- Place reserved bell pepper slices around the space in the center.
- Carefully crack egg into bell pepper-rimmed “nest.” Some egg white might escape from nest, but that’s okay. Add 1/2 ounce shredded Le Crémeux cheese on top. Carefully return pizza to oven; bake 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and egg is set, checking after 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven and slide it onto a stone or heat-proof surface.
- Garnish pizza with cilantro and red pepper flakes, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with Sriracha or other hot sauce if desired. Cut and serve immediately.