Milk Chocolate and Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère®Cheese Soufflé with Caramel Sauce
By Award-winning chef Elizabeth Falkner
- For Caramel Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice or cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Emmi Kaltbach™ Le Gruyére® AOP Cheese
- Pinch of kosher salt
- For Soufflé:
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened, for soufflé dish or ramekins
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Emmi Kaltbach™ Le Gruyére® AOP Cheese, plus additional for dish
- 1 tablespoon Ovaltine® or sugar
- 2 1/2 ounces milk chocolate
- 1 1/2 ounce dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cocoa
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 drops lemon juice or 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- For Caramel Sauce: Combine sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice and water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Caramelize sugar mixture, stirring until mixture is dark amber colored. Turn off heat; add butter and stir to melt.
- Add cream slowly. When all cream is added, stir just once around. Add 1/4 cup Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® cheese. Allow mixture to steep about 30 minutes. Stir to blend. Strain through a mesh strainer. Salt to taste.
- For Soufflé: Heat oven to 400°F.
- Butter 1 quart soufflé dish; grate a little Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® cheese all around the sides. Dust with Ovaltine® or sugar.
- Combine chocolates in bowl positioned over a simmering pot of water to melt. Do not immerse bowl bottom in the hot water. Combine 1 tablespoon milk with cornstarch and cocoa powder; stir until smooth.
- Heat remaining 1/2 cup milk in saucepan; bring just to a boil.
Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and half the sugar together in a bowl. Add the cocoa-cornstarch mixture to yolks and whisk together. Add a little of hot milk to the egg yolk mixture; whisk.
- Pour mixture back into the pot with hot milk and whisk. Return to heat set at medium; whisk continuously until it starts to boil and become very thick similar to pastry cream.
- Add this mixture to melted chocolate, folding until well combined. In a standing mixer bowl, combine egg whites with lemon juice and salt. Whip until foamy; add a little of remaining sugar.
- Continue to whip, gradually adding remaining sugar to form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture along with remaining grated Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® cheese. Pour mixture into prepared soufflé dish and place on middle oven rack; bake about 20 minutes or until soufflé has risen about 1 inch above dish rim and is set around edges.
- Remove soufflé from oven and dust with confectioner’s sugar. Place on serving plate immediately.
- At the table, make a slit with a spoon in the middle of soufflé and pour room temperature Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® caramel sauce into the opening. Spoon servings out onto plates or bowls with additional caramel sauce on the side.