One-Pot Gruyère Mac and Cheese
This One-Pot Gruyère Mac and Cheese forgoes the traditional roux for a simple sauce that’s simmered with the noodles, thickening as it cooks. Whole milk and heavy cream, combined with the starch of the noodles, comes together into a silky, creamy sauce. Use a mixture of Emmi Le Gruyère® AOP and Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® AOP Cheese cheeses for a sauce that will deliver epic cheese pulls and wonderful flavor.
- 6 ounces Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® AOP Cheese cheese
- 6 ounces Emmi Le Gruyère® AOP cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 ounces short pasta (such as shells or cavatappi)
- Preheat broiler.
- Shred both cheeses. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Kaltbach™ Le Gruyère® cheese; set aside.
- In a large, oven-proof skillet (cast iron works great), bring milk, cream, salt and mustard to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add pasta. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until pasta is cooked to al dente and sauce has thickened to coat noodles. Add remaining cheese to skillet, one handful at a time, stirring after each addition until melted.
- Remove skillet from heat. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over top. Place skillet under broiler until breadcrumbs are nicely browned and crisp. Allow to cool 2-3 minutes before serving.