Veggie Macaroni and Cheese
It’s a super simple and easy macaroni and cheese that you can share with your friends and family. It’s a great potluck or BBQ dish to bring because it’s easy to transport. The veggies add a perfect touch to make it a great meal.
- Buttery Breadcrumbs:
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- Kosher salt
- Grilled Vegetables:
- 1 yellow squash, trimmed and sliced
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil, (such as avocado, vegetable or grapeseed)
- Kosher salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Macaroni and Cheese:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound pasta of choice
- 2 cups Kaltbach Le Cremeux Cheese, divided
- To Make the Buttery Bread Crumbs: To a small saucepan, set over medium heat, melt the butter. When melted, add the breadcrumbs and a pinch of salt. Mix until the bread crumbs are thoroughly coated. Set aside.
- To Grill the Veggies: Preheat your grill or grill pan over medium heat. In a medium bowl, toss the veggies, oil, a few pinches of salt and red crushed pepper.
- Place the slices of veggies on the grill or pre-heated grill pan. Cook on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened slightly. Remove from the grill (or grill pan) and slice up and set aside.
- To Make the Macaroni + Cheese: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To a medium pot, set over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the flour and mix it together and cook the flour butter mixture for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the milk, stirring continuously in between additions. Cook until it thickens up, about 2 to 3 minutes. It’ll start to bubble up and thicken. Give it a good whisk and be sure to get in those corners of the pan to get any floury bits up and mixed in.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the salt, mustard powder, garlic powder and crushed red pepper and a few rounds of black pepper. Give it a taste and adjust the salt to taste. Add 1 ½ cups grated Kaltbach cheese and mix it in until melted. Cover the pot with a lid and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package’s instructions.
- Drain the pasta and then immediately add it to the pot with the cheesy sauce. Mix until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a 9 x 11-inch baking dish (or one that is comparable), layering in the grilled veggies. Smooth it into an even layer and then top it with the reserved bread crumbs.
- Transfer it to the oven to bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown.